Faulkner, was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Night Watch

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Mon Oct 2 10:45:59 PDT 2006

>I mean in a good way. Every word is right -- every sentence rhythm. It
>is achingly beautiful.

Yes. A couple of years ago I was rereading Absolom, Absolom, and my daughter, who was barely two years old, asked me to read to her. I told her it had no pictures and started to read, figuring she would walk away in a couple of minutes. One hour later I was still reading to her. She was so completely enchanted by the words, the flow of language, and the rhythms that she never once stopped me to ask questions, which she usually does on every page. It was also a revelation to me, as I'd never read Faulkner aloud before, and I was amazed at how beautiful his prose is to hear. Incredible.