[lbo-talk] Oil and Israel (was Footnote: Power Elite/Ruling Class Re: A Major Division)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 11:06:17 PDT 2006

On 10/2/06, Chip Berlet <c.berlet at publiceye.org> wrote:
> For analysts such as C. Wright Mills, G. William Domhoff,
> Holly Sklar, etc, the ruling class is seen as composed of
> factions of power elites in constantly-shifting coalitions.

As far as the Middle East is concerned, the US power elite's strategy has been rooted in their fantasies about oil, especially Saudi oil, and Israel: the former at least since 1943, when FDR declared that "the defense of Saudi Arabia is vital to the defense of the United States" and extended Lend-Lease aid to the kingdom*, the latter at least since the Six Day War, when Israel demonstrated its military superiority to Arab states.

Whatever coalition has been behind the strategy of defending and controlling the power elite of Israel and the ruling class of Saudi Arabia from their external and internal enemies, whether the coalition has been composed of the same factions or changing factions of the US ruling class, the strategy itself has been an enduring one, and I don't see a new US ruling-class coalition on the horizon who is backing a new breed of US power elite to challenge the long-standing US Middle East coalition and to steer US politics away from geopolitical obsessions with oil and Israel.

* Michael T. Klare, Blood and Oil, Owl Books, 2004, p. 33. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>