[lbo-talk] shameless Dems pander on "sex crimes"

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 21:40:46 PDT 2006

Depending on the content of the ex-Congressman's messages and his intent (inferred from circumstances), making passes by email at underage boys may be a serious crime as a matter of fact. If he was actually attempting to arrange a sexual assignation, or the FBI and the US Attorney think he was, the guy is in real trouble. I've seen people sent away for long periods for attempting to arrange assignations with supposed sex partners they thought were underaged. (You need the internet or some connection to interstate commerce (typically) to get federal jurisdiction -- I am sure the states (including DC) have their own sexual predator laws that don't require that federal jurisdictional hook.

I agree with Doug about sexual hypocrisy and puritanical moralizing, of course, but it is amusing in a sordid way to see another of of these scum hoist with his own petard. There's a policy question about whether criminalizing this conduct and penalizing it with long prison sentences is the best way to deal with sexual predators who chase kids. And yes, I understand "kids" is an elastic word; there's all the difference, morally, between a 17 or even a 16 year old and a 12 year old, for example; and intuitively (and I gather in with some state stat rape laws legally) what the age differences is; an 18 year old chasing (or having sex with) a 15 year old seems rather different from a 50 year old chasing or having sex with a 5 year old.

So it gets complex, ethically, and the law is a blunt instrument. We incarcerate way too many people, and from what I gather pedophilia is an obsession not really susceptible to deterrence. Also I gather it is highly resistant to treatment. And sexual abuse of younger children leaves lasting traumatic scars. So I don't know what I'd propose if I could write a law -- what do people think?