[lbo-talk] science, objectivity, truth, taste and tolerance/Answer

EverYoung Global Intellectual Enterprises uttarbahini at enet.com.np
Tue Oct 3 09:09:48 PDT 2006

Hi Ravi! The only absolute truth is that no truth is absolute. The Truth is Nature, Life, Time and Space--with all their processes that are dynamics manifest. There are a few minor things that may be called the absolute truths: e.g. Napolean died on this or that date. Theory of Relativity challenges the truth of the time and space too--but that is based upon the assumption that speed of light is constant. While speed itself is composed of the ingredients of time and space. Hence Theory of Relativity is itself a circular argument. There are many interests-groups, cultures, classes, races, ideologies, notions, etc., existing side by side--astronomy and astrology being just a fraction out of that mess--out of that all many will be refuted and shall fall apart, others shall get modified, some may prevail for sometime till their time of falling apart arrives. Just as there are infants to very old people existing side by side in the world--some will die soon, some after a hundred years--the process of death and birth is ever on. Same is the case with the human concepts, including the concept of truth. Once upon a time Christ was the Son of God. He is so no more. Astronomy is indeed superior to astrology, because there is no Chandra Lok as claimed by Astrology, while the astronomy has enabled human being to go visit moon and mars itself. One is refuted now and nearly dead or reaching its death as the old man of a hundred years. Other is promising and young. Child is delicate and potential. It grows to its youth while the old approaches his death. The promise of life and potential is the truth. Parminides to Ptolemy to the current people: all are links in the chain of life--just as you could not have come to this world unless all the links in the chain of life, your forefathers had been. They were as true then as you are now. Life is the Truth. And it is valid only in a narrow context, narrow limit of time and space. Bush and Ladin are enemies but in a narrow context. Remove them from the context and place them in completely changed circumstances and they may be friends--just as Ladin was a hero for CIA previously. Can you make any head or tail out of that? I hope you do. Frederick Engels' "Dailectics of Nature" and Lenin's "Materialism and Emperio Criticism" may be of a great help to you in this regard. They have benefitted me a great deal. Best wishes,

Ramesh Bhat P.S. Tolerance and intollerence are relative. None is an absolute virtue. One may be of benefit in one condition and the other in the other one. Similar is the case with violence and non-violence. This is dialectics.

----- Original Message ----- From: "ravi" <gadfly at exitleft.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 8:45 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] science, objectivity, truth, taste and tolerance