[lbo-talk] You think the GOP is sure to lose big in November? Theyaren't.

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Oct 3 12:10:37 PDT 2006

andie nachgeborenen wrote:
> The other day the Trib had newspaper articles saying
> that right wing evangelical preachers were finding
> their constituencies/flocks were less moved than
> hitherto about "values" issues -- abortion, gay
> marriage, etc. -- and more concerned about the economy
> and the war. It said that the Democrats were doing
> pretty well in Kansas. Any truth to this, Doug?

One of my sisters, who is the only other Bush hater in a family of Republicans and who voted twice for Perot, told me the other day that she is so upset with the political system that she now considers herself to be a Libertarian. So now we have a left libertarian, an American libertarian, and several libertarian-leaning Republicans in the family.

My youngest sister--who is a precinct chair for the Republicans--now laughs with me at Bush. My parents haven't expressed anything about the Bush administration, but I know that my father swears that he'll never vote for a Democrat. I think he's a bit annoyed at the Republican "Mods" who have taken over Johnson County politics. He always hated Bush Sr., so I wouldn't be surprised if he dislikes Bush Jr. and just won't admit it.

It's pretty rare these days to see any pro-Bush bumper stickers around Kansas City. Anti-Bush stickers are abundant these days. I've also been working neighborhood festivals in recent weeks--two weeks ago I worked a table in between a Mary Kay table and one selling candles. These things really cater to working class folks, so I see lots of sports logos on clothes and Harley Davidson t-shirts. I can report that I haven't seen any pro-Republican, pro-Bush shirts at any of these fairs, although you still see "support the troops" and "Remember 9/11" t-shirts.

Chuck