[lbo-talk] art's objectivity (tangent on faulkner thread)

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Tue Oct 3 17:43:04 PDT 2006

Miles Jackson wrote:
> (a) what are the objective
> criteria of great art? and (b) what do artists and art enthusiasts in a
> given time and place celebrate and recognize as "great art"? In my
> view, (a) is a pointless philosophical question;

"Many things people like, especially if they're young and ambitious, they like largely for the feeling of virtue in liking them. 99% of people reading Ulysses are thinking "I'm reading Ulysses" as they do it. A guilty pleasure is at least a pure one." http://www.paulgraham.com/copy.html

Perhaps a piece of seriously Great Art makes you angry when people ask whether it's Great Art. ;) Instead of things like the themes it portrays or interesting decisions by actors/writers.

Tayssir