[lbo-talk] Susie Bright on Foley etc

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Wed Oct 4 06:26:32 PDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 02:52:21PM -0700, Charles A. Grimes wrote:

> I just read Susie Bright's note on Foley, and that is almost exactly
> my own reaction. This was an abuse of power on the job. And 15-17 yr
> olds are not children. It was creepy and obnoxious. So what.
>
> Anyway, there is an ethical issue here. If you find nothing wrong with
> Foley or his boyfriends, is it really a valid ethical position to
> castigate him? See, I have this conflict. I hate jerks like Foley who
> have made use of homophobia and some indistinct public
> fear/fascination with sexuality. It would great fun to destory him and
> the Repugnants with such faux scandals. But somehow that is just as
> perverse a use of the political realm as the Right---which has
> succeeded in destorying any political discourse, just as they did with
> Clinton and Monica.

That is spot on, thanks. Last night at my town's "Drinking Liberally" I was the only one pointing out no matter how good it feels to revel in this guys hypocrisy if you have to do it by buying into bullshit reactionary sexual repression, then it just stinks.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588 http://blogdayafternoon.com yahoo msg: beyondzero123

We cannot separate the air that chokes from the air upon which wings beat.

-John Perry Barlow