[lbo-talk] Susie Bright on Foley etc

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Oct 4 16:24:23 PDT 2006

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>I don't think putting things off on the teen is a
>solution, And Btw the Capitol Hill pages are not the
>special victims of a repressed society; they are the
>children of the wealthy, powerful, and influential,
>and probably have more sexual experience than most
>grownups.

Maybe so, maybe so. But, it's still the case that a teenager has a much easier time saying No to another teenager than to someone much older.

The one time I was "raped," it was by a man in his sixties (when I was 18) -- and what happened happened not as the result of violence, but as the result of the fact that matters proceeded in such a way that I felt guilty of his desire and did not want to resist too loudly to compromise the many connections he had to my family -- he had been a close friend of my father's for over forty years.

There are all kinds of ways in which experienced and much older people prey upon younger ones. It is often the case that they take advantage of their power, status, connections, and of their victim's inexperience.

I'm not saying that this makes it legally wrong. I'm just saying that as a mother I am very careful about who I welcome into my house and that one major thing friends can do for us is to warn us and protect us about these situations.

Joanna