[lbo-talk] Indiana University Study: The Daily Show is as substantive as the real news

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Thu Oct 5 07:43:50 PDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 04:13:27PM +0200, Ira Glazer wrote:
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061004-7908.html
>
> 10/4/2006 4:36:32 PM, by Eric Bangeman <mailto:eric at arstechnica.com>
>
> The Daily Show is much funnier than traditional newscasts, but a new
> study from Indiana University says it has the same amount of meat on its
> bones when it comes to coverage of the news. The brand of news coverage

[...]

Anyone who watches their programs regularly probably already feels this way. Why is it that the only place on the US TV I can see journalists pointing out lies from politicians, their contradictions, and reducing incredulous claims to revealed bullshit is between 11PM and Midnight, Monday through Thursday, on Comedy Central??? And done under the guise of "fake news" (stop fucking saying that, Stewart!).

Nothing hit this home more than this piece, where Colbert challenges the Congressman who wanted the 10 Commandments posted in the Capital to *actually name them*, but was then criticized by the "real news" [sic] for his low-brow pandering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UANi2TApmuY

Watch it in its entirety...

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588 http://blogdayafternoon.com yahoo msg: beyondzero123

In small proportions we just beauties see, And in short measures life may perfect be.

-Ben Jonson