[lbo-talk] re: studds

Aaron Shuman maruta_us at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 5 08:17:13 PDT 2006

On Oct 5, 2006, at 6:37 AM, Robert Naiman wrote:

> Which is another way of saying: the issue is
hypocrisy.

> Americans don't care if you're gay, as long as
you're straight
> about it.

It also depends on your constituency - Studds & Frank from Mass, Foley from Fla. Dem voters are less likely to care, while many Reps think queers should burn in hell.

Doug

AS: I'm not sure whether you're intending to draw a contrast between liberal Massachusetts and reactionary Florida here, but if so, I don't think it holds. Palm Beach County is known as one of the liberal Democratic counties in Florida, where many transplanted Northeasterners end up--which actually makes me surprised that a Foley represents it. I don't know the contours of his district, but I wouldn't automatically attribute Foley's actions to his Republican base; he apparently has a different relationship to his homosexuality than Studds did. aaron