[lbo-talk] Dems & the proletariat

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 13:38:56 PDT 2006

> [Carrol Cox, better get this guy on the phone! He doesn't get how bad
> the Dems are - imagine, policies favoring the proletariat!! This is
> from David Rosenberg, Merrill Lynch's chief economist.]
<snip>
> Tax hikes,
> protectionist,
> pro-labor populist policies favoring the proletariat at the expense
> of the capitalist,
> the war on terrorism and lots more are at stake ... since this will
> also set the tone
> for the presidential elections in '08.

Financiers said something similar about Lula, too. Listening to some business alarmists, you would have thought that Lula was the second coming of Lenin!

I have a feeling that business alarmists say these things without really believing them, just to make the proletariat think that elections, no matter how sorry elections, are the most important political activity, and at the same time to send a message to the electoral party which has a larger working-class base than the alternatives: don't you dare do any of these things. For good measure, capitalists often punish them ahead of time, too, e.g., by hammering the currency, when the parties in question are in the Third World, though not here, which says something about the nature of the Democrats or the empire or both. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>