[lbo-talk] good night, Ned

Michael Hoover mhhoover at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 18:35:35 PDT 2006

On 10/6/06, Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:

> At this point, discussion is all theoretical, since we don't have the
> capacity to organize the kind of electoral pact that I suggested as
> one way of making use of electoral politics, but, for such a pact, the
> policy of Anybody But Republicans, i.e., supporting _any_ Democrat,
> won't do. The hypothetical electoral pact is to be created by
> left-wing Democrats and third-party advocates on the Left, for the
> purpose of electing candidates on the Left, running in Democratic
> primaries where that makes sense, running on Green and other tickets
> where that works best, or, more modestly, using such electoral
> campaigns to keep social movements alive during election years. Where
> the line between Democrats who are worth campaigning for and Democrats
> who aren't has to be determined democratically.
>
> Besides, the strongest obstacle to such a pact is not third-party
> advocates but right-wing Democrats -- like Joe Lieberman -- who just
> decide to run as independents if they lose in primaries and can hope
> to get elected by right-wing votes in general elections (as they
> probably have been all along).
> Yoshie

theory is more fun...

the endless debate, i read a book about 30 years ago, _the lesser evil? the left debates the democratic party_ or some such title, may have been from pathfinder, included stanley aronowitz, jack barnes, peter camejo, george breitman, michael harrington (ah yes, dsoc), one or two others...

i now favor a burrowing takeover of the republican party... mh