[lbo-talk] Russia: Oil, Environmentalism, and Nationalization

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 7 06:02:38 PDT 2006

From: "Dennis Redmond"

Delightful. Putin, incidentally, rerouted a major pipeline away from Lake Baikal, one of the freshwater wonders of the Earth. This is straight out of the Central European playbook -- environmentalism is a key productive force of the Eurostate.

---

Andrei over on the Untimely Thoughts list I co-moderate knows a lot about this.

Baikal is one of the freshwater wonders of the world. It is also really, really polluted. I have an ethnic Buryat acquaintance from there. They look sort of like fat Koreans. Anyway the population is about evenly divided between Russians and Buryats. plus (illegal) Chinese migrants who work for next to nothing.

There was sort of a funny story about Chinese immigration that happened a few months ago. A couple of Chinese nationals tried to sneak across the border into Siberia riding a motorized lawn mower. They were caught by Cossacks on the border, and claimed that they had been mowing a lawn and "gotten lost."