[lbo-talk] Scientism

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 7 08:06:19 PDT 2006

First point, if you look for necessery and sufficient condition sor anything, you will be disappointed.

Second point, it is true that classucal Darwinian explanations are narrative in structure, and in fact, as been midly objected by the creationsists, just so stories, they tie in deeply and intimately to quantification -- evolutionary populoationa biology is a statistical discipline -- and Gould, for one, did not disdain its techniques, Maynard Smith out classical Darwinian explanation in game-theoretical terms. And of course ev biol led directly to genetics and molecular biol to provide underpinning mechanisms, theiries that are qyantitative through and through. Classical Darwininism derives a kot of its support from its integration with these mire austerely quantitative fields.

The quantitatiive bias of modern science is a metaphysical prejudice, not as strict rule. Over the Cavdendish Labs in Cambridge Rutherford has inscribed somethging to the effect of What Is Real Can Be Be Measured, and that si the bias the sciences if if it is nottheir struct and invariable practice. There are lot of of dogmas in scienve generally and the science in particular, The absolndinment of Aristitlean final causation for effecient causation for example.

You can say nonquantitive things about physics that have more or less meaning -- popular science books are full of this. Moreover the deep metphysical presuppoistions of physics are not wholly or perhaps mainly quantitative. That doesn't mean physics isn't a quantitative disciplone.

Anytway, all this is a side comment that doesn't duspute Marx's, the pragmatists', and Kuhn's and Feyerabend's point that science is prejudiced and dogmatic to the more. The issue you raiswe are: what are prejuduces and dogmas, not are there any.