[lbo-talk] Scientism

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 8 06:33:42 PDT 2006

The first paragraph is a contradiction and false to boot. If science is different from the practice of scientists, how can it be the rules the scientists lay down to govern their professional behavior? It is not imposed on them from outside. (Unless you consider funding agencies liked the NSF,, staffed by scientists, to be "outside").

Second. Kuhn, Feyerabend, Laudan, Rorty, and others have demonstrated that there are no "rules" -- at most rough guidelines that vary with the prestige of the scientist, the university and the lab or journal, and with what the scientist can get away with because it works.

--- boddi satva <lbo.boddi at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, Science is definitely a practice independent
> of scientists.
> There are rules and procedures (about replicability,
> the reliability
> of different types of data, what is and is not
> adequate peer review)
> which scientists lay down as the principles of their
> discipline. These
> rules, one finds, consistently presume that
> scientists are prejudiced
> and seek to remove that prejudice from the
> scientific data and
> conclusions.
>
> That's really the difference here. Science ASSUMES
> its own prejudices
> and the practice of science is the practice of
> finding where
> prejudice, wishful thinking and ignorance may
> intrude on the
> description of Nature.

And science is loaded with with wishful thinking and ignorance? Top distinguish science `from prejudice when what i sat issue is whether science is loaded with prejudice is question-begging.

> Again, the central assumption of science is that
> Nature is as it is -
> without guile - and that we are eternally imperfect,
> blinkered and
> self-deluding observers of Nature.

Sez who? Practicing empirical experimental scientists are positivists to the core -- they want to know if there are observations that confirm their theories. I am a realist, but being a realist is not a requirement for being a scientist,

> This makes science completely different from and
> completely superior

Absurd. Religion in its Judeo-Christian forms assumed the mind-independence of a supernatural world.

> to the systems which preceded it - religion and
> philosophy.

And as far as I last say, religion and philosophy have survived the rise of science, and much of them have this objectivist view; moreover philosophy, post "new philosophy" or "natural philosophy" does not view itself as competitive with science by and large.

Science
> begins with the premise that the truth is something
> we will never see
> in its totality, whereas philosophy and religion
> start with the
> premise that there is a knowable truth.

This would be a big surprise to the Catholic Church and its mysteries or Kantian philosophy and its unknowable thing in itself or logical positivism and it rejection of the cognitive meaningfulness of propositions like that,

> People outside the sciences who try to poke holes in
> science cannot
> succeed only because attempting to poke holes is
> exactly what
> scientists are doing all the time. Poking holes is
> what it's all
> about.

This is a total nonsequiter. Just because scientists poke holes doesn'r mean others cvan't too. ANd who put philosophy -- modern scientific philosophy -- outside science?

> And that includes creationists.
>
> Andy F. points out that Evolution is not highly
> quantifiable (moreso
> now with DNA technology, but still....). And
> Creationists are right to
> point out that Evolution is, if not a weak theory,
> at least an
> incomplete one. There is essentially no question
> that the Biblical
> explaination for Creation is all nonsense, but the
> details of
> Evolution are pretty sketchy and they should not be
> passed off as
> complete when they arent. But there is plenty of
> quantifiable evidence
> in paleontology. Dinosaurs existed once, but no
> more. Dinosaur bones
> are associated with sediments of certain estimated
> ages. There is a
> rough but undeniable arithmetical logic in the
> progression of species
> although Evolution lacks precise equations. And
> quantifiability - if
> on the rough scale of hundreds of thousands of years
> - is extremely
> important to the theory of evolution.
>
> The theory started with qualitative data -
> descriptions of birds'
> beaks, etc. - because this was the best data
> available. Scientists
> are often criticized because of their conceit that
> the best data
> available and the truth are the same thing. But the
> fundamental
> assumption of science, remember, is that the "truth"
> is always
> unknowable and so every scientific description of
> Nature is flawed.
> Sure, that's not the part that scientists emphasize
> to outsiders, but
> you can hardly blame them for that.
>
> Scientists use the word "dogma" advisedly, knowing
> that it means "an
> accepted and consistent basis for analysis that is
> probably not true".
> "Theory", "hypothesis", "observation" - never "fact"
> or "truth" - the
> language of science shows the eternal skepticism
> built into the
> system.

The question again is how much change is necessary to dislodge a scientificf dogma. It took relativitity theory to patrtly dislopdge classical mechaniscs. What would ity take to replace the idea that science is about the studdy of fundamental quantities and replace it with a qualitative conception like Aristotles? Go though and read Kuhn and Feyerabend. THe naive self-serving ideology of scientists you repeat here would embarrass the logical politivists, who knew better.

> But science is not some separate, magic theory. It
> is a default
> position. What else would a reasonable person do to
> determine how
> Nature works? What philosopher would she consult?
>
> People say "science can't tell us everything" -
> well, why not? And
> what can tell us these things with more accuracy?
> Simply test any
> system against nature and logic and you are doing
> science - the
> default position.

Could be a description of witchcract or alchemy