[lbo-talk] Our terrorist

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 14:46:14 PDT 2006

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/spy/Appendix.htm Appendix :A Brief History of D.G.I.

>...In November 1962, the F.B.I. arrested three Cubans in New York and seized a cache of explosives and incendiary devices. The Cubans were charged with attempting to gather information about U.S. mili­tary installations and with stockpiling the explosives "for the pur­pose of injuring and destroying national defense materials, premises, and utilities." Among the contemplated targets were retail stores, oil refineries, and the New York subway system. The detainees included Roberto Santiesteban Casanova, an attache at the Cuban Mission. Because he had arrived recently, his official papers were being pro­cessed and the U.S. government asserted he still did not enjoy diplo­matic immunity. A Cuban couple, Jose Gomez Abad and his wife Elisa Montero de Gomez Abad, were charged with complicity in the affair and ordered to leave the country. Both were attaches at the Mission, and as such did have diplomatic immunity from arrest.

In January 1968 Chafik Homero Saker Zenni (who also used the name Rolo Martinez; code name "Rolo"), First Secretary of the Cuban Mission, was barred from reentering the United States. In February 1969 Jesus Jimenez Escobar, Counselor of the Mission, was also refused reentry. Both men had been providing guidance and financial assistance to black extremist groups in the States.

In August 1969, Lazaro Eddy Espinosa Bonet, Third Secretary of the Mission, was ordered expelled because he had attempted to re­cruit several Cuban refugees for the purpose ‑ the United States said succinctly ‑ of gathering information about "the security of the of­fice of the President." The fact was that, meeting clandestinely with Espinosa in New York, the refugees had been instructed to obtain all the information they could about President Nixon's home on Key Biscayne in Miami: photographs, floor plans, details of security, itin­eraries, and modes of travel used by the president when arriving and leaving. It is not known why D.G.I. wanted this information.

At the same time that Espinosa was expelled, the United States also barred Alberto Boza‑Hidalgo Gato (code name "Zabo"), who was in Cuba at the time, from reentering the country. Boza‑Hidalgo, First Secretary of the Cuban U.N. Mission, was charged with at­tempting to recruit for the purpose of gathering "material of an intelligence value" about a U.S. military installation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.cicentre.com/Documents/DOC_Montes_1.htm

Defense Analyst Accused of Spying for Cuba

The Defense Intelligence Agency's senior analyst for matters involving Cuba was arrested at her office yesterday and accused of providing classified information about military exercises and other sensitive operations to the Cuban government. Ana Belen Montes, 44, of Northwest Washington, was on the U.S. government's payroll but really was working for the Cuban Intelligence Service, prosecutors said.....(Washington Post, 22 Sep 01)

Defense Analyst Pleads Guilty to Spying for Cuba

The Defense Intelligence Agency's senior analyst for Cuban issues pleaded guilty yesterday in U.S. District Court in Washington to being a spy for Fidel Castro's government, admitting that for 16 years she used her highly classified position to steal top-secret information and pass it along to a nation the State Department lists as supporting international terrorism.....(Washington Post, 20 Mar 02)