[lbo-talk] Re: Congrats, Detroit! (Carl Remick)

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 14:51:07 PDT 2006

Verily, Detroit is establishing itself as the city of giant-killers in sports. My favorite NBA championship of my entire life was when the pistons slew the 'dream team' of the Lakers. It was underdog as hell and even a little political--- the lakers contained mostly superstar ultra-marketed assholes, all somewhat despicable for different reasons, whereas the pistons were a team-playing team with grit and fundamentals who worked together to humiliate and break up their big-money opponents. In fact, the steelers' class-tinted victory over the seattle seadogs last year can even be partially attributed to detroit, as that's where the game happened and was helped to victory by detroiter jerome betis.

I applaud the underdog glory and the psychological boost to the rust-belt coming out of detroit sports--- but why oh why not philly? Twenty plus years is a long time to go without a single champtionship in a four-team city; I've lived under the ignomity of philadelphia garbage teams my whole life, while cousins and friends in places like chicago, boston and new york lord it over me to no end.

Maybe next year... Jim