[lbo-talk] Dems & the proletariat

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 8 19:25:22 PDT 2006

On Oct 8, 2006, at 8:59 PM, Michael Hoover wrote:

> On 10/7/06, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 6, 2006, at 9:24 PM, Michael Hoover wrote:
>> > dixiecrats said to jfk: you got a choice,
>> > tax bill or civil rights bill
>>
>> Supply-siders often claim JFK as their own - they love his tax cut.
>> Doug
>
> you miss my point although supply-sider claim should have been refuted
> years ago

As I recall, the supply-siders liked it because it lowered top rates markedly, and included a big investment tax credit - i.e., it was oriented towards capital, and therefore supply-side. It was not a more "liberal" approach that would have cut middle- and lower-bracket rates for reasons of demand stimulus and equity. Maybe I'm remembering the mix wrong.

Doug