[lbo-talk] Our terrorist

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 9 06:21:02 PDT 2006

On Oct 8, 2006, at 11:20 PM, Michael Pugliese quoted Marc Cooper:

> There are numerous liberals among the Miami Cuban population, many
> of them key in the Democratic Party leadership in Southern Florida.
> Among the rank and file of many Miami Cubans are some very ordinary
> people who came here because they wanted the sort of opptys denied in
> Cuba.

"Opptys"? Cooper's adopting the language of want ads?

> Those recipes are as bankrupt as the current ones provided by Havana.
> And for that matter by MR which can only offer high-carb, low calorie
> servings of warmed-over anti-imperialist rhetoric. That, my friend,
> will feed excatly nobody.

What the fuck is Cuba, or any other poor country a stone's throw from the U.S., supposed to do? Cooper & Pugliese may find "anti- imperialist" rhetoric painfully obsolete, but imperialism is still quite alive, and Washington reacts very badly when countries deviate from the prescribed path. Like the Bush admin, the Coop/Pug axis doesn't like Chavez either, even though his government is quite democratic and open to trading with capitalists. Washington overthrew Coop's old boss Allende. Daniel Ortega's candidacy is causing fits in Washington. Who do you purists like? If you try anything seriously redistributionist, you get the CIA in on the next flight. If you compromise yourself into being "reasonable," you end up a corrupt disappointment like Lula. What Coop/Pug-approved regime is feeding anybody?

Doug

PS: Hi Marc! (I assume Pug is going to forward this to you.)