[lbo-talk] Reporter's death fuels fear for Russia media freedom

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 9 08:38:46 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood:

Hey, those were the Yeltsin years, and Yeltsin was our man. Birth pangs of a New Russia, they were.

Who killed that Forbes guy whose name I can't remember? Was there a Western fuss about that?

---

Back to the glorious democracy of the mafia and the collapsing economy! Let's shell Parliament for democracy!

Paul Klebnikov was his name. He was pro-Putin, so his death couldn't be spun like this. His murder is still unsolved. The prosector's initial case was that he had been killed as an act of revenge by the Chechen Ichkerian ideologue (and former gangster) Nukhaev, because Klebnikov had written an unflattering book about him (which no one will ever dare translate). However, the two or three defendants who were charged with carrying out the hit were found innocent earlier this year.