[lbo-talk] Iran on back burner

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 10:57:54 PDT 2006

No doubt Bolton and his patrons are sitting on pins and needles waiting for a response from the UN.

U.S. wants U.N. to allow interdiction of N.Korea cargo

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/09/AR2006100900548.html>

By Michelle Nichols and Evelyn Leopold Reuters Monday, October 9, 2006; 12:57 PM

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The United States wants the U.N. Security Council to authorize international inspections of cargo going in and out of North Korea to check for weapons of mass destruction or related materials, diplomats said on Monday.

U.S. Ambassador John Bolton presented the U.N. Security Council with 13 "elements" of a resolution he is drafting in response to Pyongyang's nuclear weapon test, participants in a closed council session said on condition of anonymity.

Other proposals include a total arms embargo and a freeze on assets associated with Pyongyang's possible weapons of mass destruction, the envoys said.

Council members will consider a resolution late on Monday, but it is not known if Russia and China will approve further sanctions, although they condemned Pyongyang's test.

"We're looking for very swift action by the Security Council," Bolton told reporters. "We think it's important to respond even to the claim of a nuclear test by the North Koreans and we'll be going 24/7 if we need to be to get this resolution adopted quickly."

[...]

-- Andy