[lbo-talk] Scientism

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 17:31:18 PDT 2006

Not only has travel at speeds faster than the speed of light been proposed, it has been confirmed, shown and reproduced in the lab.

Particles which go around a track and are forced to "tunnel" through a barrier have been timed moving faster than the speed of light, since that speed is not a single velocity, but a distribution.

Moreover, many cosmologists look for telltale signs which might indicate the existence of particles moving faster than the speed of light.

Natural laws aren't laws. They are a search for consistency and predictability in observations. Of course scientists jump on popular theories. We're social animals. But that doesn't affect the underlying logical tests. Einstein said that God doesn't play dice and nowadays there's barely a physicist who would believe that - but there are, so even quantum physics is under attack from radical String theorists and such.

My whole point here is that the idea that science is a place with more dogmas than the liberal arts is crazy. Science is about confirming theories, but COMPETING theories. And even confirmations have to compete. And in the process of confirming, the most Kool-Aid-drinking of the scientists will over-reach, his results will be questioned and BANG! a new theory starts.