[lbo-talk] Re: RSF on Press Freedom

Michael Givel mgivel at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 9 18:17:32 PDT 2006

[lbo-talk] Re: RSF on Press Freedom

On 10/9/06, Michael Givel <mgivel at earthlink.net> wrote: > Really? A ranking of 137 out of 167 and 157 out of 167 is a whitewash? You > have an interesting definition of whitewash. I prefer to see this as an > affirmation that Bush's policy about Iraq and democracy is baloney---lack of > politcal freedom. Time to tell the world I would think. > > On the other hand why don't you try your opinion out that 137 out of 167 is > a whitewash on impartial people and see what they think about that. Let me > know what they say after you are done.

Look at the home page of RSF, and see what kind of action it is demanding, above all: "Russia Call for rally outside Russian embassy in Paris in protest against journalist's murder, international investigation demanded" (at <http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=20>).

That's their priority. ****************** You mean this call for a picket below? What an utter, utter, utter, utter outrage to call for press freedom and a fair investigation in Russia. This support could also be construed as indirectly or directly supporting human rights for the predominantly Sunni Muslims in Chechnya. What else could this reactionary action encourage? I shudder to think.

http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=19105 9 October 2006

Call for rally outside Russian embassy in Paris in protest against journalist's murder, international investigation demanded

"Politkovskaya was the symbol of Russian conscience standing up to an autocratic government that gags journalists," Reporters Without Borders said. "Her condemnation of state terror in Chechnya and her unwavering commitment to press freedom made her a beacon of independent journalism in Russia. By eliminating her, by silencing her in this most brutal of ways, they have murdered Russia's democratic conscience."

The press freedom organisation added: "We call for a rally outside the Russian embassy in Paris at 6 p.m. today and we demand an independent international investigation (for example, under the aegis of the United Nations or the Council of Europe), because it would be unthinkable to let the Russian police and judicial authorities handle this case on their own. They have already demonstrated their inability to solve the murders of journalists who angered the authorities. The still unsolved murder of Paul Klebnikov, the editor of the Russian edition of Forbes, in July 2004 is an obvious example."

Politkovskaya had worked for the biweekly Novaya Gazeta since 1999. She was supposed to hand in an article, with photos, about torture in Chechnya for today's edition. It never arrived at the newspaper. In her last book, "Russia under Putin," which was published this year in France, she not only criticised atrocities in Chechnya but also corruption and human rights violations in Russia.

Internationally acclaimed for her courage and professionalism, Politkovskaya, 48, was found dead in her apartment building in the centre of Moscow on the afternoon of 7 October. She had been shot several times. She will be buried tomorrow in Moscow.

We ask journalists to confirm their intention to attend by calling 06 0858-0723.