[lbo-talk] Scientism

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 9 20:29:40 PDT 2006

No, Ravi, perhaps I was not sufficiently clear. I am, as I said, a realist. I hold science to be objective. I reject relativism and skepticism, as I said. You mistakenly accuse me of confusing science, the theory and practice of scientists, with the objects of science, the things the world scientists study.

I make no such error (or espouse no such view, anyway). I insisted that these objects are recalcitrant, that false beliefs about them will lead to courses of actions that are not successful because they involve false beliefs about the way things are. As I said, no doubt a bit cryptically, our interests in making things work, building bridges that stand and rockets that fly, enforced on us by industrial and political competition, push us up against the world in a way that requires us to develop techniques of investigating and manipulating that lead to efficacious results, themselves depending on true beliefs about the objects of our inquiry.

If these objects were not independent of what we thought or wished, it would be hard to explain technological and scientific failure. Correspondingly, our success in predicting, explaining, and manipulating the world is evidence that our scientific standards are correct and our scientific beliefs approximately true.

But all of this depends on a particular set of interests -- the rise of modern science is bound up with the rise of capitalism and the nation state, as the old-time Communist would say, "it is no accident." And truth, simplicity, explanatory power, predictive success, and the like are values. Science is thus interested and value-laden (value-saturated) from the get-go).

But that is exactly why, given its social context, science is objective. The values and interests with which it is imbued are ones that promote truth. Other values and interest that do not force their holders to accommodate their beliefs and practice to the recalcitrant nature of the world as it is (religious values and interests, for example), cannot give us the same assurance that their objects are mind-independent and the theories we form about them are objective.

Incidentally, Kuhn was PhD physicist

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/thomas-kuhn/

and Feyerabend trained as an astronomer and a physicist. (As well as a dramatist and singer -- he was a fascinating and unique character: see

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/feyerabend/

Any reading of Against Method or his papers will show the depth of his knowledge of hard science. Kuhn's will as well -- don't just read Structure, Read The Copernican Revolution and the book on the Black Body Problem and Quantum Discontinuity (a lot of which is above my head, and I used know quantum pretty well).

These were not the science-free ignoramuses of today's science studies crowd -- who also lack Feyerabend's genuine European humanistic accomplishments, based on a culture and world now lost forever. (Kuhn is a much more American, technocratic, and less interesting thinker, if perhaps in some ways more deeply right.) I'm not going to name names, but it is a mistake as well as an insult to assimilate either of these thinkers to the fools who fell for the Sokal hoax, for example.

True, Kuhn espoused a sort of relativism at least in The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, but that is largely extraneous to his views of the structure of science. Relativism (in Kuhn's terms, "incommensurability") does not follow from the fact that science is prejudiced to the core. Kuhn also deeply regretted having loosed on the world the word "paradigm" (which I made no use of or reference to in my discussion).

Feyerabend always insisted that science had to be realist to make progress, although he deplored primitive scientism and delighted in showing that it is only one way of looking at, understanding, and explaining the world, and not the only valid one, also that its realism is internal to it and therefore not to be taken for granted either. (Also I think he overstated it: in my experience, and I think the literature bears me out on this, practicing experimental scientists tend to be instrumentalists or positivists.

Now, all this said, of course I don't dispute that science can be distinguished from scientists. Science is the practice of scientists, what they do and believe and value. It is thus independent of any particular scientist, or even any group of scientists naturally, just as you say the law is of lawyers. But this is really by the way. Science as a human activity, however, the explanation and prediction of the world, is still a human activity, and full of human prejudices. It does embody, as we both say, because of the interests that inform an animate it, practices that promote self-correction, wherein lies its objectivity.

So perhaps in some ways we do not differ as much as you think, or at least in the ways that you think we differ. However, if you think that science is a human practice unlike any other in having no point of view, in maintaining no interest but the truth for its own sake, and in being free from prejudice or presupposition, we do disagree.

=== message truncated ===