[lbo-talk] Slayer's new album, "Christ Illusion," banned in India

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 08:38:57 PDT 2006

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003223377

EMI India Recalls Slayer Album After Protests

Nyay Bhushan, The Hollywood Reporter

Mumbai-based EMI Virgin India Ltd. said it will recall all copies of the new Slayer album, "Christ Illusion," following protests by a Christian group, the Catholic Secular Forum.

Earlier this week, CSF general secretary Joseph Dias issued a statement taking "strong exception" to the album cover's depiction of Christ. The group also condemned the track "Skeleton Christ," calling the lyrics "an insult to Christianity."

The CSF also sent a complaint to Mumbai's police commissioner saying that the album "will affect the sensibilities of Muslims on the track 'Jihad' and secular Indians who have respect for all faiths."

EMI India marketing manager Kaveri Khullar said in an interview, "We met with the CSF and were apologetic while assuring them that all copies of the album will be pulled out. We have no plans of re-issuing it in any way."

The CSF also protested strongly against the Indian release of "The Da Vinci Code," which led the Censor Board to instruct the Indian distributor, Mumbai-based Sony Pictures Releasing India, to include a notice before the film explaining that it was a work of fiction.