[lbo-talk] Watching the Watchdogs

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 08:39:20 PDT 2006

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:
> IPI has a "watch list," which isn't the list of the
> worst offenders
> but that of "countries in danger of becoming
> repressive." On the
> watch list are Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, Nepal, Russia,
> and Venezuela (at
> <http://www.freemedia.at/cms/ipi/watchlist.html>).
>
> RSF's worst ten are North Korea, Eritrea,
> Turkmenistan, Iran, Burma,
> Libya, Cuba, Nepal, and China (in that order).

I submit that the notion of "countries" becoming "repressive" is a little broad. The hasards facing journalists in Iran (I guess) and, say, Russia are quite different. The case in Iran involves (I guess) government censorship, which does not exist in Russia in private media. The danger in Russia involves journalists (one of which I used to be) getting whacked by the mob (which a lot of them work for).

What is the point in calling to protest to the Russian government anyway? Because Russian police aren't omnipotent? Perhaps we should call to file an international protest to Washington over the Amish school shooting.