[lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Tue Oct 10 12:32:24 PDT 2006

Hi,

Matt and I adopt Rogin's position in our book (with cites).

See also this resource: http://www.publiceye.org/tooclose/populism.html

Chip Berlet

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Jesse Lemisch Sent: Tue 10/10/2006 3:32 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading butNotfor the Reasons the Critics Have in Mind

Has anyone on this thread cited Michael Rogin's McCarthy and the Intellectuals, a rigorous study by an unfortunately prematurely dead Berkeley political scientist. This takes apart Hofstadter et al and shows that McCarthyism commenced in elites rather than from the grass roots. And James Weinstein and a collaborator had a classic article on how slow McCarthy was to pick up anti-Communism, becoming alerted to the issue in part by Norman Thomas.

Jesse Lemisch -----

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 4409 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20061010/f9686a33/attachment.bin>