[lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading butNotfor the Reasons the Critics Have in Mind

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Tue Oct 10 14:23:55 PDT 2006

I don't know any historians today who are, as Doug says "surprised that a lot of populism today is pretty right wing." Generally, we are not religious mystics in our hopes for better popular movements. We know there are popular movements of the left, right and in between. What those of us arguing against Hofstadter are saying -- and I just don't think Doug is listening -- is that there was and is no truth to the idea of H and of so many others that popular movements are necessarily fascist, and that's what's there in his argument for the continuity between a supposed right-wing Populism and a supposed grassroots McCarthyism. I hope that Doug might reconsider his romanticization of bad guys like Hofstadter and envision the possibility of a left-wing populism. It had long been my impression that Doug was in favor of that as a prerequisite for democratic change, but now I'm not sure what he's for.

Jesse Lemisch

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 4:51 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading butNotfor the Reasons the Critics Have in Mind