[lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading.Huh?

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Tue Oct 10 15:53:29 PDT 2006

Oh, that's cute: He's good to his graduate students. My goodness, it could even be said that Ed Morgan of Yale was good to me, but, really Doug, we don't draw political conclusions from these essentially feudal relationships, at their best paternalistic. Oy vey, a "partnership" indeed! I'm sure you know more about academics than to cite such instances. That's great: "my office door is always open, do come in and discuss strategies with me."

Too bad neither you, nor apparently Wiener, have read H's commencement address in the Columbia Forum, nor have you considered the meaning of speaking at Grayson Kirk's little commencement after the bust, rather than the counter-commencement.

And it's notorious that he reconsidered The American Political Tradition --which you seem to think a positive step -- putting his Progresive phase behind him, like so many others during this period. You think this is progress?

Jesse Lemisch

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 6:22 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading.Huh?