[lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading.Huh?

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Tue Oct 10 16:51:55 PDT 2006

Yeah, Eric is certainly right: Hofstadter wasn't as bad as Boorstin (tho there are certain parallels in their on-campus roles, which is, with all these people, a good measure of what their politics are. How academics react on their own turf is always revealing;) But there must be some yiddish phrase -- can somebody help with this? -- to describe a person who can be described as not as bad as Boorstin. Or are we about to hear how Boorstin,too, stared the realitiies of American popular beliefs in the face?

Doug, with all these citations, when are you going to look at Hofstadter's 1968 commencement address in Columbia Forum, which I've now cited two or three times? It's about how the student protests constituted a dangerous swinging of the pendulum away from the center. I don't recall whether this was in May or June of '68, but the blood was still fresh at Columbia from April.

By the way, an updated parallel would be to look at those faculty who disapprove of TA unions, GESO at Yale, and the union at NYU -- where some liberal faculty countered with calls for a company union. These positions in the real world, on their own turf, shed quite a lot of light on their works of scholarship. Consider Alan Brinkley at Columbia (google Lemisch + Brinkley; for NYU google Lemisch + Sexton)

Jesse Lemisch

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 7:27 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading.Huh?