[lbo-talk] WSWS review Ken Loach's latest film

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 11 12:10:31 PDT 2006

Wendy Lyon wrote:

> A fairly typical Trot analysis

Though I mostly share the attitude towards Trotskyism reflected here, I prefer to avoid "Trot" (rather than Trotskyist) on the same grounds that I don't like "lefties," "commies," "women libbers" etc.

> Essentially Loach has made a film about a struggle for national
> sovereignty in which some, but not all, of the combatants also
> understood the need for the class struggle.

The attitude you describe characterizes many (not all) Trotskyist responses to nationalist movements throughout the 'third world,' especially in Latin America. But it is not only Trotskyists who have gone sort of bonkers in response to Yoshie's posts on the middle east -- and similar complexities are involved in that issue (or those issues).

Carrol