[lbo-talk] Re: the decline of BW

Tim Francis-Wright tim at francis-wright.com
Thu Oct 12 04:18:20 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> [Thanks to Michael Pug for this. I too have stopped reading BW, and
> now I know why. It used to be really good - never sparkling or hot,
> but solid, informative, and thoughtful, aside from the New Economy
> cheerleading from Michael Mandel in the late 90s. But now it sorta
> sucks, sorry to say.]

Besides the decline in the front of the book that Doug describes, BW has had two egregious additions to the back of the book: Jack and Suzy Welch's column on business, and Robert Parker's column on wine.

I must admit that the Welches are sometimes unintentionally funny. The best laugh was the column not too long ago in which they excoriate a "country club" culture at some companies. Strange, I thought, only a few years ago BW was reporting on the number of country club memberships that Jack was getting for free in his retirement benefits. (For some reason, BW elected not to print a letter to the editor along those lines.)

--tim francis-wright