[lbo-talk] Minuteman Founder Jim Gilchrist Storms Off Democracy Now!

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Oct 12 11:55:31 PDT 2006

Dennis:

What do you mean by "heartland"? Gilchrist is a conservative Catholic who lives in an affluent retirement community in Orange County, California, a Republican stronghold filled with rich white people where, Ronald Reagan said, "good Republicans go to die".

[WS:] That you would find more Gilchrists in the US population and history than Hofstadters or Chomskys combined. This, BTW, is not limited to white population - other ethnic groups are not much different in this respect.

Michael: On the intellectual front: I live in the heartland you talk about and your characterization grossly overgeneralizes a variety of views here that can also be found in urban areas. Some of the views, here, are actaully rather progressive and radical among the group you describe below.

[WS:] How does that contradict my statement that this is the tenor of the US politics, even though other background voices can be heard? I do not deny that there are progressive and radical voices "out there" - as this list attests. Al I am saying that such voices are in the minority. This is rather difficult to deny. It is quite obvious when you consider the fact that progressive usually do not rise above one-digit support levels in the primaries, not to mention the elections.

"Angelus" Wotjek's instinctive distrust of populism is endearing, [WS:] I do not distrust populism - it is too vague and ephemeral a concept to me. I distrust intellectuals, politicos, and activists who wrap themselves in populist ideologies. They tend to be disingenuous scum.

Eric: Do you ever get tired of talking out your ass?

[WS:] Yes, when I talk to people worth opening my mouth.

Wojtek