[lbo-talk] Iraq excess death study up

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Oct 12 13:44:26 PDT 2006

Jerry Monaco wrote:

> Doug or anyone else,
>
> Are the methods used in the study described in detail on-line anywhere?
>
> Are criticism of the kinds of methods used in this study on-line?
>
> Jerry

Doug posted the link to the full text recently; it's at the Lancet site. The study uses cluster sampling, which is a common and valid technique in social science research (in fact, we're covering sampling tonight in my research methods course, and I'm going to use this study as my "textbook" example of cluster sampling). The numbers are difficult to refute on methodological grounds; all the criticisms I've read are provided by people who are clearly clueless about scientific research methods.

Miles