[lbo-talk] Iraq excess death study up

Auguste Blanqui blanquist at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 02:17:12 PDT 2006

Cluster sampling is a very standard biostatistical technique that has been used in numerous contexts, not just death counts -- vaccination percentage estimates, estimated prevalence of an infection, etc. Most of the people attacking the study seem to have no public health training at all. I'd be happy to send people other literature that either uses these techniques or explains them further.

As for the best riposte to the (right-wing and faux-contrarian) attacks on the Lancet study, I would recommend these two blogs written pseudonymously by experts in the field:

http://healthvsmedicine.blogspot.com/2006/10/old-death-in-new-iraq.html http://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasure/2006/10/the_lancet_paper_on_the_iraq_w.php#more