[lbo-talk] Re: Iraq excess death study up

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 13 08:04:10 PDT 2006

Dennis Perrin wrote:

> > Any resolution of the Iraq conflict that doesn't feature imprisonment or
> > capital punishment for Bush and Blair won't be a resolution at all.
> >
> > Carl
>
> The slammer, yes. The needle, no.
>
> Dennis Camus

I would agree with Dennis -- with a footnote query. I didn't read to the end of Camus on the death penalty, and therefore it was several decades later that I discovered he did _not_ oppose the death penalty as such but only 'inhumane' forms of it. He had a complicated method worked out that would supposedly be painless. Apparently he did not focus on the fact that residence on death row was itself a form of torture. Rejection of all forms of torture for any reason may be the only absolute I have.

Carrol