[lbo-talk] Re: Iraq excess death study up

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 13 12:50:13 PDT 2006

--- Michael Pugliese <michael.098762001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If Dennis and you didn't engage in such invective
> I might be able
> to read , for example, the Dquared CIF entry and the
> critics and come
> to some conclusion w/o all this typical, extremely
> vicious invective.
> As bad an lnp3.

I don't think Doug Henwood is engaging in invective. Maybe he is a bit sharp and polemical, but he is not vicious or insulting.

Dennis Perrin is however very personally insulting, very quick to attribute sinister motives to those espousing views he does not agree with. I don't understand the need for that. If he wishes to ignore Michael Pugliese, he can do so, just as Carrol Cox does with just about every post that he does not agree with. But Dennis Perrin and Willy Greenfields in particular seem to only have something to say in response to Pugliese, and usually never substantive.

In a way, what Dennis Perrin does is a sort of policing the boundaries of appropriate discourse on the left. So really it is not so different from right-wing social democrats and laptop bombardiers like Paul Berman, but merely from the opposite side of the spectrum.

I suppose we can be grateful that we are at least not a West German Maoist party circa 1976.