[lbo-talk] Sociology of the Amish

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 14 06:26:15 PDT 2006

OK, I was up late last night watching Witness on Russian TV, in which Harrison Ford hangs around the Amish without the subject of religion ever being brought up. Anyway, having Cossacks on the brain (perhaps because my girlfriend's grandmother was a Cossack), it occured to be during the barn-raising scene that Amish and Cossacks have a surprisingly lot in common in some ways, well, not the non-violence part. ;)

How has this group managed to last so long and even grow in the US? How have they managed to stay together and preserve a separate identity? Sociologists and historians must have written about this. Anybody know of anything? Thanks!