[lbo-talk] Re: Hezbollah vs IDF

Seth Kulick skulick at seas.upenn.edu
Sat Oct 14 12:30:38 PDT 2006

> From: Bryan Atinsky <bryan at alt-info.org>
[...]

> Ehud Ya'ari is well known longtime Israeli journalist, wrote a book on
> the Intifada with Ze'ev Schiff I remember, and he is presently 'Arab
> affairs correspondent' and such for Channel 2. Typical talking head for
> the dominant Israeli ideological line (with a centrist Labor positioning).

They also cowrote "Israel's Lebanon War". Their book on the Intifida has an interesting chapter on Hamas, saying the following:

"In large part this scourge was self-inflicted, for the Civil Administration had contributed considerably to the development of the Muslim groups that came to the fore soon after the start of the intifada. Just as President Sadat had encouraged the growth of the Islamic Associations to offset the leftist elements in Egypt, many Israeli staff officers believed that the rise of fundamentalism in Gaza could be exploited to weaken the power of the PLO. Sadat's fate was to die at the hands of the same pious zealots he had allowed to flourish. The upshot in Gaza was similar: the Muslim movement turned on the very people who had believed themselves so clever in fostering it."