[lbo-talk] Tex-Mex music pioneer Freddy Fender dead

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 14 23:10:05 PDT 2006

Tex-Mex Singer Freddy Fender Dies at 69

Singer Freddy Fender, the Tex-Mex 'Bebop Kid,' dies at 69 after battle with lung cancer

SAN BENITO, Texas, Oct. 14, 2006

By LYNN BREZOSKY Associated Press Writer

(AP) Freddy Fender, the "Bebop Kid" of the Texas-Mexico border who later turned his twangy tenor into the smash country ballad "Before the Next Teardrop Falls," died Saturday. He was 69.

[...]

"Whenever I run into prejudice," he told The Washington Post in 1977, "I smile and feel sorry for them, and I say to myself, `There's one more argument for birth control.'"

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/14/ap/entertainment/mainD8KOL9A00.shtml