[lbo-talk] What's the matter with Connecticut?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 16 10:03:20 PDT 2006

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>On Oct 16, 2006, at 11:27 AM, Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>In an election universally deemed a referendum on Iraq, the overwhelming
>>majority of CTers agree with Lamont's stance on the war.
>
>[from the quoted article]
>
>>Lieberman led Lamont despite the fact the majority of Connecticut voters
>>disagree with his position on the war in Iraq. Only 34 percent said the
>>United States made the right decision by invading Iraq, while 60 percent
>>said it was the wrong decision. Fifty percent of the sample favored
>>setting a timetable for U.S. troops to leave Iraq, while 47 percent
>>wanted to "leave [the] date open" to depart Iraq. Even so, 44 percent
>>said Lieberman came closer to their views on important issues while 39
>>percent chose Lamont.
>
>50% isn't an "overwhelming majority," and I suspect the problem is that
>Lamont's position offends the "split the difference" spirit of the
>American middle ranks. They want something vaguer.

My focus was on the finding that 60% of CTers think invading Iraq was wrong.

I can't imagine that any of those people would want to do anything with Lieberman but tow him offshore and sink him in honor of the Groton sub base.

Surely these voters are familiar with the following:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE October 16, 2002

Contact: Rob Sawicki Phone: 202.224.4041

Lieberman Hails Signing of Bipartisan Iraq Resolution; Says measure will strengthen U.S. case against Saddam

WASHINGTON - Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT) today hailed President Bush's signing of a bipartisan resolution giving the President the authority to use military force to eliminate the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. Lieberman, who was one of the chief sponsors of the resolution in the Senate, attended the bill signing ceremony at the White House today.

"Saddam Hussein is the most significant threat to our national security, and we must take strong action to pry the poisons, toxins, and the plans for nuclear weapons out of his hands," Lieberman said today. "This resolution not only expresses our resolute support for President Bush as he seeks international backing to finally force Saddam to disarm, but also strengthens his hand as commander-in-chief to take decisive action if Saddam does not comply or if the United Nations fails to act."

Lieberman said this is the proper time for action, saying, "The question isn't 'why now?' but 'why not earlier?' Over the last decade Saddam has built up weapons of mass destruction, developed the means to deliver them on targets near and far, and consistently ignored and violated U.N. resolutions. We've waited too long to address this threat." ...

<http://lieberman.senate.gov/newsroom/release.cfm?id=208108&&>

Carl