[lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading but Notfor the Reasons the Critics Have in Mind

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Tue Oct 17 12:09:45 PDT 2006

I think I had neglected to pass on the following during earlier postings on this thread. In the fall of 1969, when some of us were planning a radical caucus at the December meeting of the Amer Hist Assn - intending to run Staughton Lynd for president, bringing an anti-war resolution to the business meeting -- my multi-page planning letter was widely distributed. It produced from Genovese the warning, "it will be to the knife," and AHA authorities prepared in, may I say, paranoid style, for our onslaught.

Among those preparing was Hofstadter, who called for te AHA Council to "organize a counter-revolution." Yes, that's what he said. Put that in your pipe, along with his address at Grayson Kirk's 1968 counter-commencement. But let's not forget: as has been posted here, his office door was always open and he was sos kind to his graduate students. "Counter-revolution" indeed. Seriously, folks, all this calls for more critical scrutiny of H's politics and history.

Jesse Lemisch

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Brown" <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:40 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading but Notfor the Reasons the Critics Have in Mind

http://www.blackcommentator.com/201/201_cover_race_dems_fletcher_ed_bd.html#