[lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading butNotfor the Reasons the Critics Have in Mind

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Tue Oct 17 13:51:12 PDT 2006

Doug, you don't seem to get the concept: the politics of scholars in real life situations inform and help us to comprehend their scholarship. Consider Schlesinger, Boorstin, Lynd, Lasch, Aptheker. Lemisch, and just about everybody else. Read my On Active Service in War and Peace: Politics and Ideology in the American Historical Profession.

Am I hearing from you the last gasp of New Criticism? You've been out of Yale now, maybe 35 years, so get over it. Do you really think you can understand Hofstadter's work by ignoring evidence of his actual struggles on behalf of "counter revolution" and his hostility to Columbia campus activists in 1968? Do you think he suddenly became a different person when he emerged from Fayerweather?

Jesse Lemisch

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 3:30 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading butNotfor the Reasons the Critics Have in Mind