[lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth ReadingbutNotfor the Reasons the Critics Have in Mind

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 17 13:55:46 PDT 2006

Jesse, did you shift key get stuck, or are you shouting?

In any case, I was asking for some textual evidence that Hofstadter held "that popular movements are necessarily fascist." That's an extraordinary claim, and I'm asking for a quote or two to substantiate it.

And the second was a quote from a famous essay by Hofstadter about the base of McCarthy's support that is rather at odds with your implication that he didn't think that Tailgunner Joe found support at elite, not mass, levels.

By the way, elements of organized labor in Wisconsin either supported McCarthy or stayed neutral in his first election to punish LaFolette, whom they saw as too anti-Communist. McCarthy won his first election by a 2-to-1 margin, so he evidently had some mass support.

Doug