[lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is StillWorthReadingbutNotforthe Reasons the Critics Have in Mind

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Tue Oct 17 15:13:18 PDT 2006

Yeah, this makes sense to me. I think the point -- arguing against Hofstadter et al -- is just that McCarhtyism started with elites and then developed popular support. But of course the permeation of the culture and polity by those values was quite extensive.

And, though I haven't followed this thread completely, I'm not sure that the point has been made that "McCarthyism" is in some sense a misnomer. given the general anti-Communist hysteria going back to Harry Truman and others. The term "McCarthyism" lets lots of Democrats and liberals off the hook. A Whitney Griswold at Yale, McGeorge Bundy at Harvard, Hutchins at the University of Chicago -- many such contributed to what has been called McCarthyism.

Jesse Lemisch ----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:50 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is StillWorthReadingbutNotforthe Reasons the Critics Have in Mind