[lbo-talk] Oh dear, LBO patronises Europe again (was Let's Build)

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Oct 17 16:39:12 PDT 2006

Charles A. Grimes wrote:

>These groups act as `the people' and as long as they have relatively
>equal weight among themselves, they make the general informed
>decisions, with the assistance of the planners on how best to develop,
>remodel, maintain and change the city. Their decisions are more than
>`citizen input', which means their decisions are more or less the
>final say.

I think about this every time I drive in Berkeley, a tortuous exercise, since 90% of the streets have barricaded access in order to create safe little neighborhood enclaves. This diverts 90% of the traffic in Berkeley to about six main arteries, which are slow to navigate. Keep in mind that about 40,000 people (at least) need to get in and out of Berkeley every day because of the University. Oh, and of course, the streets are deserted despite their "safety" -- no walkers, no kids.

Joanna