[lbo-talk] Unbanked (was dd on microcredit)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 17:37:01 PDT 2006

On 10/17/06, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
> Yes, it's very, very expensive to be poor. No humor intended.
>
> What rally burns my ass about the microcredit movement is that it
> supports the very ideology that creates poverty. Theoretically, it turns
> every individual into a mini capitalist, even if the only worker to be
> exploited is the self. It also makes a mash of the idea of capital,
> since it implies that what the microcredit recipients get is "capital."
>
> Nothing I have left to say on this subject is printable.

Postal savings banks do not necessarily make micro loans, though they can, especially if they are designed to serve farmers. They have several useful functions: to make financial services -- primarily savings accounts backed by an implicit or explicit government guarantee and safe, cheap means to handle transfers and remittances -- accessible to all; to keep savings at home (rather than have savers send their savings overseas in search of safe havens); and to pool small savings and make them available to the government (by making the postal service invest savings into government bonds), so that the government can finance its public investment out of domestic savings at a low cost. If handled well, it is a macroeconomic institution useful to medium-rank developing nations.

What's wrong with the Grameen Bank is not that it makes microcredit available to some poor women but that it is a for-profit private-sector bank, it is represented as a substitute for what the state should do, and it is touted as a panacea for poverty.

The government can and should offer micro loans to people who need them. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>