[lbo-talk] Re: Project Pompous ;-)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 18 06:54:26 PDT 2006

>From: John Mage <jmage at panix.com>
>
>Carl wrote:
>
> > I think Ravi's objecting to the highfalutin gothic text used in the
> > headline "Project Posner." One of the inspired touches about the
> > late Walt Kelly's classic comic strip "Pogo," set in Okefenokee
> > Swamp, was the pious and censorious character Deacon Mushrat, who
> > spoke in caption balloons using gothic lettering. At one point
> > during the early '60s heyday of the John Birch Society, "Pogo"
> > chronicled the Deacon's efforts to purge the Okefenokee of
> > anti-Americanism via his own creation, the "Jack Acid Society."
>
>my recollection is that it was Kelly's version of the John Birch Society
>- the "Jack Ash Society" (Berezovsky a charter member?)

Could be. I was refreshing my memory via wikipedia so caveat lector is the watchword. Also, on reflection I'm pretty sure it must have been Deacon *Muskrat.* Sadly, the only lingering cultural trace of "Pogo" today seems to be the line that's been quoted ad nauseum over the years, since there have been so many instances when the US has acted contrary to its own rational interests, viz.: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Try the next generation of search with Windows Live Search today! http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/searchlaunch/?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline