[lbo-talk] Dispiriting suburbs? Was Let's Build

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 18 06:58:15 PDT 2006

James Heartfield:

64 per cent of Americans are satisfied with their own lives, compared to just 57 per cent of the French, 54 per cent of Britons, 53 of Italians and 49 of Germans.

[...]

It seems to me that those who live in the Suburbs might not share LBOers estimation that they are soulless and alienated

My new book _Let's Build...

Tremendous.

Watching this housing/auto use/urban suburban debate unfold I knew that regardless of what anyone wrote (and several people posted detailed explanations for their positions) something like this would be your response.

Which makes me laugh because I remember a similar discussion a year or so ago. I kept saying that although I enjoyed my car and liked driving, I preferred living in a community designed for walking (that is, with shopping and restaurants and so on within easy reach of feet or light rail).

Your persistent reply was that it was quaint and old fashioned for me to hate autos so. It became an odd dance:

Me: I like my car, but lament that so much of the American built environment is designed to require me to use it for very basic activities such as buying a loaf of bread.

Heartfield: Why do you hate cars?

Hilarious.

The cris de coeur some list-members have offered up about the "soulless" nature of suburbs are interesting and important but, in the context of this most recent housing-related debate, a distraction. Also, they unfortunately provided you with an easy retort that skirted the key concern.

More to the point is Andy F's question about how these ever expanding building booms will be sustained - kept watered and powered and transportation linked for decades to come.

.d.

.d.

I'm Jonathan Harker, I'm Lucy's trance Elegant count's hypnotic glance I'm the wooden mallet, the sharpened stake I'm the precautions you forgot to take

TSOL, "Silent Scream" ...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/