[lbo-talk] Re: Traveling?

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Wed Oct 18 07:53:29 PDT 2006

1) Kudos to John for following these matters so closely.

Perhaps Kommersant was trying to put on a brave face, finding some "clever trading" and "national interest"? I suppose voting politics everything that happens around the same time can be seen as a bit of a trade, but the incentive here is very small. "Urges" is the mildest of official language (and recognizes that one is not legally taking a stand, for N. Korea the language was "Demands"). And the Georgians, by sending in thinly disguised troops, did rock a boat that the U.S. has no particular interest in seeing rocked.

2) As for the travel ban in the N. Korea resolution, it can apply to all persons - not just N. Koreans. AFAIK, this is the first time someone can be banned from traveling (pretty much anywhere in the world) for "supporting or promoting" a policy (in a substantial way). Actions or official role are no longer at issue.

For example, in principle, members of the Japan-Korean Friendship Association (fairly substantial in Japan) could be banned from travel anywhere in the world. Ditto for the US based Workers World Party. Lists of banned persons will be prepared by a Security Council Committee of relatively junior diplomats, based on names put forward by individual governments.

Whatever, actions are actually taken this time against non-Koreans, the legal precedent is established and could well apply to "supporters or promoters" in future cases (Iran, Palestinian terrorists, etc).

To my knowledge this is the first time the Security Council has taken action against persons based only on speech.

Paul